Significant advances in automatic speech recognition (ASR) have led to an abundance of devices and applications that use speech as their main interface. Microphones are no longer regarded as mere voice input devices for phone calls but rather as acoustic sensors for human-machine interaction and for acoustic sensing of the environment. We have come to expect high-quality ASR as well as other audio-related functionalities (such as crystal-clear voice calls and immersive high-definition audio) from our devices.
As we get closer and closer to creating human-like machines, we must develop similar audio-processing abilities to the ones we have as human beings.
Application specific audio DSP engines are the only viable way to accomplish this.
- Voice activation and speech recognition will become key in almost every device.
- Voice communication must be clear and high quality even in noisy surroundings.
- Audio processing allows the delivery of truly immersive sound.
- Sound-sensing enables machines to interpret and act upon recognizable sounds.
The ability to capture, process, and reproduce audio signals is fundamental to mobile devices, wireless speakers, smart home devices, automotive infotainment systems, and consumer equipment.
Today’s smartphones, wearables, and smart home devices require ultra-low-power, high-performance processing for speech recognition and reproduction, “always-on” functionality, and advanced multi-microphone voice capabilities. Because they employ multi-microphone setups for far-field voice pickup, smart speakers and other smart battery-operated devices must be optimized for the best combination of performance and power consumption. Finally, high-end audio for home entertainment and automotive infotainment systems demand the best possible hi-fi audio output.
The key to meeting these requirements lies in embedding dedicated audio DSP chips. Only the use of flexible DSP IP architectures can provide the following:
- Small die size, high code density, and high processing power
- Enable SoC designers to select the optimal implementation in terms of silicon area, power consumption, and operating frequency
- An ecosystem that includes a wide variety of software modules that are available off-the-shelf, and development platforms to speed application development and prototyping
Check out the related product links below to find the perfect audio DSP IP solution for your needs.