Significant advances in automatic speech recognition (ASR) have led to an abundance of devices and applications that use speech as their main interface. Microphones are no longer regarded as mere voice input devices for phone calls but rather as acoustic sensors for human-machine interaction and for acoustic sensing of the environment. We have become to expect of our devices a high-quality ASR as well as other audio-related functionalities such as crystal clear voice calls and immersive high-definition audio.
As we are getting closer and closer to creating human-like machines, , we need to develop similar audio processing abilities to the ones we have as human beings.
- Voice activation and speech recognition will become key in almost every device
- Voice communication must be clear and high quality even in noisy surroundings
- Audio processing allows the delivery of truly immersive sound
- Sound sensing enables machines to interpret and act upon recognizable sounds
Capturing, processing and reproducing audio signals are fundamental to mobile devices, wireless speakers, smart home devices, automotive infotainment systems and consumer equipment.
Today’s smartphones, tablets and wearables require ultra-low-power, high-performance processing for speech recognition and reproduction, ‘always-on’ functionality and advanced multi-microphone voice capabilities. Smart wireless speakers and other smart battery-operated devices must be optimized for the best combination of performance and power consumption as they employ multi-microphone setups for far-field voice pickup, which can be hard on the battery if not implemented properly. And high-end audio for home entertainment and automotive infotainment systems demands the best possible hi-fi audio output.
The key to meeting these requirements lies in embedding multi-functional DSP IP architectures provide the following:
- Provide for small die size, high code density and high processing power
- Allow SoC designers to select the optimal implementation in terms of silicon area, power consumption and operating frequency
- An ecosystem that includes development platforms to speed application development and prototyping as well as a wide variety of software modules available off-the-shelf