CEVA-XC323 DSP Core for Advanced Wireless Terminal, Infrastructure and DTV Demodulation Applications
The CEVA-XC family of DSP cores features a combination of VLIW (Very Long Instruction Word) and Vector engines that enhance typical DSP capabilities with advanced vector processing. Based on the architecture of the CEVA-X DSP family, the CEVA-XC family of DSP cores incorporates up to four modular Vector Communication Units into the CEVA-X framework. The scalable CEVA-XC architecture offers a selection of highly powerful communication processors targeting the most demanding wireless applications and use cases, enabling software-defined modem design with minimal hardware. With its innovative programmable approach, the CEVA-XC family offers high flexibility that supports a large number of wireless standards on a single programmable platform, thereby significantly reducing development cost and time to market.
The second generation of the CEVA-XC family, the CEVA-XC323, is a highly powerful processor that is optimized for wireless terminal and infrastructure applications and that has been widely adopted by multiple Terminal and Infrastructure vendors. The CEVA-XC323 offers highly powerful vector capabilities alongside a powerful general computation engine supplying the performance and flexibility demanded by next generation communication applications.
Target applications for the CEVA-XC323
- Handsets, Smartphones, Tablets, data cards, etc.
- Addressing: LTE, LTE-A, WiMAX, HSPA/+, and legacy 2G/3G standards
- A scalable solution for femtocells up to macrocells
Universal DTV Demodulator
- A programmable solution targeting digital TV demodulation in software
- Target standards: DVB-T, DVB-T2, ISDB-T, ATSC, DTMB, etc.
- A single platform for: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, GPS, Bluetooth and more
- A single platform for: wireless PAN (802.11, 802.15.4, etc.), PLC (Power Line Communication), and Cellular communication (LTE, W-CMDA, etc.)
|Fully programmable DSP incorporating a unique mix of VLIW and Vector capabilities using a combination of computational units:
||Optimized for wireless applications and offering an extensive instruction set optimized for the specific needs of wireless baseband to enable software-defined modem implementation|
|High performance architecture
||Enables modem design with minimum hardware requirements|
|A scalable processor applicable to a wide variety of markets and devices||Offers optimal performance to different applications with a clear roadmap for standard evolutions:
|Easy software development
||Smooth C-level software development and easy integration into the target SoC reduces risk and time-to-market|
|Open architecture and standardized APIs||Additional software components can be easily developed or licensed through CEVA’s partners|
|Complete set of optimized communication libraries||Significantly accelerates multi-mode modem design|
|…and many more – Download the CEVA-XC323 Product Brief for more information|
The CEVA-XC323 offers a wealth of architectural features as follows:
Fully programmable DSP
- Two vector processing units - each unit operates on 256-bit vector registers offering a powerful 512-bit SIMD engine
- Up to 8 simultaneous instructions (8-Way VLIW)
- Efficient DSP support for non-vectorized data
- Efficient support for control and ANSI-C operations
Extremely powerful computation capabilities
- 32 16x16-bit MAC operations and/or 64 16x8-bit MAC operations
- 64 arithmetic operations per cycle
- 32 logic operations per cycle
- 200 16-bit operations in a cycle
Scalable and configurable architecture for use in a wide range of wireless applications and devices through different configurations and optional modules
- Scalable computation capabilities and memories
- Configurable utilization of optional instruction sets
Uniquely designed for wireless baseband
- High flexibility SIMD programming model with intra-vector permutation capabilities
- Optimized instruction set for wireless modems, including matrix processing, MIMO detectors, filtering, complex data permutations, and bit stream processing
Efficient flow of the entire baseband application
- Communication operations - Vector communication units deal with vectorizable data
- General DSP operations - Complete support for general ANSI-C DSP functions, adaptive parameters, etc.
- Control code - Fully interruptible, conditional ISA, branch prediction, delay slots, etc.
- Memory accesses - Dual flexible data addressing units with dedicated scalar unit
Complete memory subsystem
- Includes tightly coupled memories (TCM), caches, AXI system interfaces, APB3 interface, advanced DMA controller, emulation and profiling modules.
- Ensures easy integration and optimal performance in Target SoCs
Offers a homogeneous multi-core system design capability including:
- Wide AXI busses for massive data transfers
- Snooping mechanism to detect external device accesses
- Message queues allowing synchronization and easy system control;
- Exclusive access allowing atomic access to external memories,
- External debug interfaces allowing cross-triggering.
Integrates an innovative Power Scaling Unit (PSU) offering significant energy savings for both battery-operated and stationary devices:
- Advanced power management for both dynamic and leakage power.
- Multiple voltage domains associated with the functional units.
- Multiple operational modes ranging from full operation, to debug bypass, to memory retention, to complete power shut-off (PSO).
CEVA-XC Communication Libraries
CEVA offers a complete set of DSP and communication libraries optimized for CEVA-XC323 to ease the implementation of software-based wireless modems. CEVA's unique multimode software-defined modem library offering significantly simplifies customer development of multimode modems.
Highlights of the CEVA-XC libraries include:
- Covers the most critical algorithms and addresses the entire transceiver chain
- LTE FDD, LTE TDD, HSPA+, and WiMAX are available; additional libraries are in development
- C-callable optimized DSP code ensuring optimal DSP performance
- Minimizes required architecture know-how and enables designers to focus on system code and proprietary algorithms
- A generic implementation that can be configured to address the customer's unique use cases
- System-independent code ensures smooth integration into the customer SoC
CEVA-XCnet Partner Program
The CEVA-XCnet Partnership Program is a comprehensive network of strategic third-party technology suppliers that brings together a variety of critical and complementary technologies: communication software and hardware IPs for 3G and 4G applications, DSP software design services, real-time operating systems (RTOS), SoC level prototyping, and simulation tools. CEVA-XCnet members gain in-depth understanding of the CEVA-XC architecture, development environment and libraries, and have a direct link to CEVA's internal R&D resources. Consequently, CEVA-XCnet reduces development costs and risks for CEVA-XC licensees, and significantly accelerates the development of advanced wireless communications solutions.
LTE Ref. Architectures
CEVA-XC based multi-mode LTE reference architectures
Based on the CEVA-XC323 processor, CEVA offers complete multimode reference architectures targeting both wireless terminals and wireless infrastructure. These reference architectures leverage on years of accumulated knowledge with CEVA’s Tier-1 baseband licensees, are based on CEVA-XC optimized communication Libraries and address the entire PHY layer requirements.
Reference architectures highlights:
- A complete LTE PHY system architecture addressing the entire PHY layer requirements of multiple standards in software including: LTE FDD, LTE TDD, and HSPA+
- Built around CEVA-XC323 processor with minimal complementary hardware accelerators
- Software upgradable to other baseband standards with clear roadmap for standards evolution
- Offers industry's most competitive SDR platform in terms of both cost and power consumption
- Ensures system completeness and fast time to market for CEVA-XC based modem design
- Takes into consideration MAC and RF interfaces, simplifying integration into customer SoC
DTV Ref. Architecture
CEVA-XC based multi-mode DTV reference architecture
Based on the CEVA-XC323 processor, CEVA offers a multi-standard DTV demodulation reference architecture. Together with Idea! Electronic Systems, a member of the CEVA-XCnet partner program, the companies have developed a complete, ISDB-T solution based on a multi-standard reference architecture, including ISDB-T software library functions, ISDB-T PHY software IP, a universal front-end engine and FEC accelerators.
Leveraging the fully programmable CEVA-XC DSP, every existing and future DTV demodulation standard can be supported in software rather than hardware, significantly reducing the die size, design complexity and cost of multi-standard DTV demodulation solutions. In addition, the CEVA-XC processor can support any other air interface to further differentiate the product, including LTE, HSPA+ and WiFi.
CEVA-XC323 Software Development Kit (SDK)
CEVA now offers a new silicon-based, software development kit (SDK) for runtime software development based on the CEVA-XC323 DSP. The CEVA-XC323 silicon embedded in the SDK was designed by CEVA and manufactured on a 65nm process, delivering up to 800MHz performance. This level of performance facilitates the design of software-based modems and associated application software, for multiple communication standards, in parallel and in a real-time environment.
The SDK is comprised of:
- CEVA-XC323 silicon, including CEVA’s innovative Power Scaling Unit (PSU) which enables advanced power management within the SoC.
- Two XC-DMA controllers
- Program cache
- 512 KB L1 data and 1MB shared L2 memory
- External 64/128-bit AXI master and slave interfaces
- 32-bit master APB interface
- Mltiple efficient master/slave memory interfaces
- Power Management Unit (PMU)
- Interrupt Control Unit (ICU)
- 6.5Gbps optical transceiver
- Dual port 1Gbps Ethernet
- 1GB of DDR2 memories
- 64MB SSRAM memories
- HDMI in/out ports
- Dual Serial Rapid IO transceivers
- Multiple large FPGA modules open for user programmability to add SoC specific logic
- Comprehensive set of optimized DSP software libraries.
The SDK also includes a broad range of standard interfaces, enabling easy integration into customer-specific system designs, and a complete debug, profiling and tracing capabilities in real-time, to enable the modeling of real system conditions well in advance of customer silicon being available. The development kit is supported by CEVA-Toolbox™, a complete software development, debug, and optimization environment.
CEVA-XC Announcements9 Dec 2014 CEVA at CES 2015: Powering the Next Wave of Intelligent Connected Devices
27 Oct 2014 Sckipio Licenses and Deploys CEVA-XC Communications DSP in World's First G.fast Chipsets
8 Jul 2014 CEVA Acquires RivieraWaves, Expands IP Offering with Connectivity for Smartphones, Tablets, Small Cells and the Internet of Things