CEVA-XC323 DSP Core for Advanced Wireless Terminal, Infrastructure and DTV Demodulation Applications
The CEVA-XC family of DSP cores features a combination of VLIW (Very Long Instruction Word) and Vector engines that enhance typical DSP capabilities with advanced vector processing. Based on the architecture of the CEVA-X DSP family, the CEVA-XC family of DSP cores incorporates up to four modular Vector Communication Units into the CEVA-X framework. The scalable CEVA-XC architecture offers a selection of highly powerful communication processors targeting the most demanding wireless applications and use cases, enabling software-defined modem design with minimal hardware. With its innovative programmable approach, the CEVA-XC family offers high flexibility that supports a large number of wireless standards on a single programmable platform, thereby significantly reducing development cost and time to market.
The second generation of the CEVA-XC family, the CEVA-XC323, is a highly powerful processor that is optimized for wireless terminal and infrastructure applications and that has been widely adopted by multiple Terminal and Infrastructure vendors. The CEVA-XC323 offers highly powerful vector capabilities alongside a powerful general computation engine supplying the performance and flexibility demanded by next generation communication applications.
Target applications for the CEVA-XC323
- Handsets, Smartphones, Tablets, data cards, etc.
- Addressing: LTE, LTE-A, WiMAX, HSPA/+, and legacy 2G/3G standards
- A scalable solution for femtocells up to macrocells
Universal DTV Demodulator
- A programmable solution targeting digital TV demodulation in software
- Target standards: DVB-T, DVB-T2, ISDB-T, ATSC, DTMB, etc.
- A single platform for: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, GPS, Bluetooth and more
- A single platform for: wireless PAN (802.11, 802.15.4, etc.), PLC (Power Line Communication), and Cellular communication (LTE, W-CMDA, etc.)
|Fully programmable DSP incorporating a unique mix of VLIW and Vector capabilities using a combination of computational units:
||Optimized for wireless applications and offering an extensive instruction set optimized for the specific needs of wireless baseband to enable software-defined modem implementation|
|High performance architecture
||Enables modem design with minimum hardware requirements|
|A scalable processor applicable to a wide variety of markets and devices||Offers optimal performance to different applications with a clear roadmap for standard evolutions:
|Easy software development
||Smooth C-level software development and easy integration into the target SoC reduces risk and time-to-market|
|Open architecture and standardized APIs||Additional software components can be easily developed or licensed through CEVA’s partners|
|Complete set of optimized communication libraries||Significantly accelerates multi-mode modem design|
|…and many more – Download the CEVA-XC323 Product Brief for more information|
The CEVA-XC323 offers a wealth of architectural features as follows:
Fully programmable DSP
- Two vector processing units - each unit operates on 256-bit vector registers offering a powerful 512-bit SIMD engine
- Up to 8 simultaneous instructions (8-Way VLIW)
- Efficient DSP support for non-vectorized data
- Efficient support for control and ANSI-C operations
Extremely powerful computation capabilities
- 32 16x16-bit MAC operations and/or 64 16x8-bit MAC operations
- 64 arithmetic operations per cycle
- 32 logic operations per cycle
- 200 16-bit operations in a cycle
Scalable and configurable architecture for use in a wide range of wireless applications and devices through different configurations and optional modules
- Scalable computation capabilities and memories
- Configurable utilization of optional instruction sets
Uniquely designed for wireless baseband
- High flexibility SIMD programming model with intra-vector permutation capabilities
- Optimized instruction set for wireless modems, including matrix processing, MIMO detectors, filtering, complex data permutations, and bit stream processing
Efficient flow of the entire baseband application
- Communication operations - Vector communication units deal with vectorizable data
- General DSP operations - Complete support for general ANSI-C DSP functions, adaptive parameters, etc.
- Control code - Fully interruptible, conditional ISA, branch prediction, delay slots, etc.
- Memory accesses - Dual flexible data addressing units with dedicated scalar unit
Complete memory subsystem
- Includes tightly coupled memories (TCM), caches, AXI system interfaces, APB3 interface, advanced DMA controller, emulation and profiling modules.
- Ensures easy integration and optimal performance in Target SoCs
Offers a homogeneous multi-core system design capability including:
- Wide AXI busses for massive data transfers
- Snooping mechanism to detect external device accesses
- Message queues allowing synchronization and easy system control;
- Exclusive access allowing atomic access to external memories,
- External debug interfaces allowing cross-triggering.
Integrates an innovative Power Scaling Unit (PSU) offering significant energy savings for both battery-operated and stationary devices:
- Advanced power management for both dynamic and leakage power.
- Multiple voltage domains associated with the functional units.
- Multiple operational modes ranging from full operation, to debug bypass, to memory retention, to complete power shut-off (PSO).
CEVA-XC Communication Libraries
CEVA offers a complete set of DSP and communication libraries optimized for CEVA-XC323 to ease the implementation of software-based wireless modems. CEVA's unique multimode software-defined modem library offering significantly simplifies customer development of multimode modems.
Highlights of the CEVA-XC libraries include:
- Covers the most critical algorithms and addresses the entire transceiver chain
- LTE FDD, LTE TDD, HSPA+, and WiMAX are available; additional libraries are in development
- C-callable optimized DSP code ensuring optimal DSP performance
- Minimizes required architecture know-how and enables designers to focus on system code and proprietary algorithms
- A generic implementation that can be configured to address the customer's unique use cases
- System-independent code ensures smooth integration into the customer SoC
CEVA-XCnet Partner Program
The CEVA-XCnet Partnership Program is a comprehensive network of strategic third-party technology suppliers that brings together a variety of critical and complementary technologies: communication software and hardware IPs for 3G and 4G applications, DSP software design services, real-time operating systems (RTOS), SoC level prototyping, and simulation tools. CEVA-XCnet members gain in-depth understanding of the CEVA-XC architecture, development environment and libraries, and have a direct link to CEVA's internal R&D resources. Consequently, CEVA-XCnet reduces development costs and risks for CEVA-XC licensees, and significantly accelerates the development of advanced wireless communications solutions.
LTE Ref. Architectures
CEVA-XC based multi-mode LTE reference architectures
Based on the CEVA-XC323 processor, CEVA offers complete multimode reference architectures targeting both wireless terminals and wireless infrastructure. These reference architectures leverage on years of accumulated knowledge with CEVA’s Tier-1 baseband licensees, are based on CEVA-XC optimized communication Libraries and address the entire PHY layer requirements.
Reference architectures highlights:
- A complete LTE PHY system architecture addressing the entire PHY layer requirements of multiple standards in software including: LTE FDD, LTE TDD, and HSPA+
- Built around CEVA-XC323 processor with minimal complementary hardware accelerators
- Software upgradable to other baseband standards with clear roadmap for standards evolution
- Offers industry's most competitive SDR platform in terms of both cost and power consumption
- Ensures system completeness and fast time to market for CEVA-XC based modem design
- Takes into consideration MAC and RF interfaces, simplifying integration into customer SoC
DTV Ref. Architecture
CEVA-XC based multi-mode DTV reference architecture
Based on the CEVA-XC323 processor, CEVA offers a multi-standard DTV demodulation reference architecture. Together with Idea! Electronic Systems, a member of the CEVA-XCnet partner program, the companies have developed a complete, ISDB-T solution based on a multi-standard reference architecture, including ISDB-T software library functions, ISDB-T PHY software IP, a universal front-end engine and FEC accelerators.
Leveraging the fully programmable CEVA-XC DSP, every existing and future DTV demodulation standard can be supported in software rather than hardware, significantly reducing the die size, design complexity and cost of multi-standard DTV demodulation solutions. In addition, the CEVA-XC processor can support any other air interface to further differentiate the product, including LTE, HSPA+ and WiFi.
CEVA-XC323 Software Development Kit (SDK)
CEVA now offers a new silicon-based, software development kit (SDK) for runtime software development based on the CEVA-XC323 DSP. The CEVA-XC323 silicon embedded in the SDK was designed by CEVA and manufactured on a 65nm process, delivering up to 800MHz performance. This level of performance facilitates the design of software-based modems and associated application software, for multiple communication standards, in parallel and in a real-time environment.
The SDK is comprised of:
- CEVA-XC323 silicon, including CEVA’s innovative Power Scaling Unit (PSU) which enables advanced power management within the SoC.
- Two XC-DMA controllers
- Program cache
- 512 KB L1 data and 1MB shared L2 memory
- External 64/128-bit AXI master and slave interfaces
- 32-bit master APB interface
- Mltiple efficient master/slave memory interfaces
- Power Management Unit (PMU)
- Interrupt Control Unit (ICU)
- 6.5Gbps optical transceiver
- Dual port 1Gbps Ethernet
- 1GB of DDR2 memories
- 64MB SSRAM memories
- HDMI in/out ports
- Dual Serial Rapid IO transceivers
- Multiple large FPGA modules open for user programmability to add SoC specific logic
- Comprehensive set of optimized DSP software libraries.
The SDK also includes a broad range of standard interfaces, enabling easy integration into customer-specific system designs, and a complete debug, profiling and tracing capabilities in real-time, to enable the modeling of real system conditions well in advance of customer silicon being available. The development kit is supported by CEVA-Toolbox™, a complete software development, debug, and optimization environment.
CEVA-XC Announcements18 Nov 2015 CEVA Introduces New Low Power Communication DSPs to Address the Multimode Connectivity Requirements of IoT and M2M
20 Jul 2015 Silver Spring Networks Adopts CEVA Technology for Internet-of-Things Communications Platform
11 Jun 2015 CEVA Unveils Wi-Fi IP Platforms to Enable a Broad Range of Connected Devices
- Products Overview
- DSP Cores
- Connectivity Platforms
- Development Environment